Google hates our homepage because it has no content. Even though you see words, those are connected to images which SERPs do not recognize as content. I have had dozens of conversations with our clients requesting them to allow us to make their homepage more SEO friendly despite what they love about it. Essentially the big fat German was calling the small business owner kettle black.
So here is what you should do to improve your own homepage:
- The URL should have your keyword in it. For example: http://www.imprinsic.com/South_Jersey_Marketing_Agency.html
- Header 1, and Header 2 should all contain your target keyword. Remember, a keyword should be more than one word (ex. South Jersey Marketing Agency).
- The content should have your keyword sprinkled throughout the actual content at least twice, and either italicized or bolded at least once.
- List a link back to your hompage throughout your website. This basically helps web spiders crawl through your site much smoother, as well as some other important reasons. As you can see I accomplish that at the bottom of this page.
- Whenever you generate an external link, ensure you embed the link under your main keyword text. Refer to: How to Embed a Link under Words, to accomplish this.
- Also, blogging everyday keeps your competitor away.
Currently our SEO expert, Robert, is re-organizing our own homepage to meet these very same guidelines. After all, SEO is important. Just don’t forget to italicize or bold your keyword at least one time in your content. Good luck to you, South Jersey Marketing ;)!To your success!
Aside from being featured in Forbes as the "#1 Consultant Who Avoids the B.S.", Matt has conducted marketing consulting for hundreds of organizations, such as businesses, universities, politicians, law firms, consultants and nonprofits. Matt routinely hosts seminars, workshops and coaching sessions in the interest of educating entrepreneurs about maximizing their marketing and advertising potential. Contact him now to help you too.